History of Clavey Auto Service
One of Glenview’s oldest, family-operated auto service centers, Clavey Auto Service, is entering it’s 61st year of business. The company originally opened in 1956 at 1332 Waukegan Road and later moved to 812 Waukegan, the current site of Glenview State Bank. For the last 44 years, Clavey Auto has been located at its current site at 2003 Chestnut Avenue, between Waukegan Road and Lehigh Avenue.
The Clavey name also has a connection to one of Glenview’s oldest families, the Rugens. Louis Clavey, great-grandfather to Lou, Arliss and Marvin, was married to Anna Rugen.
In January 1956, Lou Clavey purchased the building at 1332 Waukegan Road. In December of that year, Arliss Clavey returned home from the Army and joined his brother, Lou. Nine years later Marvin Clavey joined his two brothers and two employees in the growing business. During this time Herman Clavey joined his three sons in the operation of the shop.
In 2000, Clavey Auto Service expanded into the front of their building, that was previously occupied by a tenant, and expanded the crew of technicians to accommodate the growing list of customers.
Currently the shop is operated by brothers Jack and Jeff. Their wives, Carol and Jody, share the office responsibilities that were previously performed by Jack and Jeff’s sister Kathleen, who left the business to start her own family. Arliss still stops in periodically to help out. Jeff’s son Matt and Jack’s son Kevin worked summers before they graduated college. Matt and Kevin are the fourth generation of Clavey’s to work in the business. Most recently, Kathleen’s son Tommy has been helping out at the shop, continuing a long legacy of family members to be involved at Clavey Auto Service.
With a current staff of 11 and all of the technicians certified by the National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence (ASE), Clavey Auto Service continues a family tradition of quality auto maintenance and repairs, and the exceptional customer service that began over 60 years ago.